Pieces of the Recovery Puzzle Campaign
Businesses support flood recovery work with unique keepsake puzzle campaign
Schoharie, NY – May 6, 2013. Schoharie Area Long Term (SALT) and Schoharie Valley Association (SVA) are pleased to announce that local businesses are coming together to support ongoing recovery efforts. Visitors to the valley and locals alike are being invited to participate in a fundraiser for SALT where everyone gets a prize. SALT is the lead agency coordinating rebuilding and recovery efforts in the Schoharie Creek basin and surrounding areas. Members of the media are invited to learn more at a press conference on Wednesday, May 8 at 2pm at the Apple Barrel Country Store & Cafe located at 115 State Route 30A in Schoharie.
Since the flooding in 2011 the people of the Schoharie Creek basin and surrounding area, with help from volunteers throughout the country, have dedicated themselves to rebuilding their devastated communities. This year, SALT and SVA invite everyone to see how far their community has come by collecting Schoharie Valley puzzle pieces. The campaign kicks off on Saturday, May 11, the eve of Mother’s Day. Participants start by donating $5 or more to SALT; in return they receive a puzzle collection bag. Participants must bring this bag or a puzzle collection card with them to the puzzle piece locations. The following locations have bags and are equipped to accept donations on behalf of SALT:
- The Apple Barrel Country Store, 115 State Route 30A, Schoharie
- Barber’s Farm, 3 ½ miles south of Middleburgh on Route 30
- Century 21, Rural Estates, 2441 State Route 7, Suite #4, Cobleskill
- Century 21, Rural Estates, 323 Main Street, Schoharie
- The Conglomerate, 331 Main Street, Middleburgh
- Generations Antiques and Gifts, 397 Main Street, Schoharie
- Little Italy, 285 Main Street, Schoharie
- Magical Printing & Designs, 281 Main Street, Schoharie
- NBT Bank Middleburgh, 299 Main Street, Middleburgh
- NBT Bank Schoharie, 271 Main Street, Schoharie
- SALT Office, 258 Main Street, Schoharie
- Studio for Art & Craft, 576 Main Street, Cobleskill
- Schoharie Valley Farms, 5605 State Route 30, Schoharie
- Guernsey’s Schoharie Nurseries, Bridge Street, Schoharie
Then, as participants travel throughout the valley they are invited to visit local shops and businesses to collect puzzle pieces. A list of participating businesses is available here. No purchase is necessary, the puzzle pieces are free but participants must bring this bag or a puzzle collection card with them to the puzzle piece locations. SALT and SVA just want to show off how much progress has been made and encourage folks to explore the great things that local businesses have to offer. At each location participants will also find information that highlights the recovery process including accomplishments and the significant needs that remain. After collecting all the puzzle pieces each participant will have a frame-able beautiful keepsake 10” x 13” puzzle.
“Part of the reason why local recovery efforts have accomplished so much – over 600 properties have been assisted – is due to the unwavering support of local residents and businesses,” SALT Executive Director, Sarah Goodrich comments. “The pieces of the recovery puzzle fundraising campaign is a perfect way to highlight how far we’ve come, how far we have to go and why our roots run so deep.”
Click Here for the Puzzle Guide and a list of participating businesses!
(The puzzles are no longer available via this method, however, there are still many complete puzzles that can be obtained through SALT. Please see the Schoharie Valley Puzzle page under the Donate category.)